One Sunday morning in early 1999, we were sitting in a church service feeling quite comfortable where we were in life; however, God was up to something.
We had been involved in full-time ministry with a missions organization known as Celebrant Singers, ministering in over 40 countries across the globe and learning to lead teams of young people in sharing the love of Christ through music. We loved what we did. We felt we would be there forever, but things were about to change.
That Sunday morning, the pastor began preaching a sermon about faith. To this day we remember the illustration he used of an impala (an African deer), how it can leap an amazing 10 feet high and cover a distance of 30 feet when fleeing a predator. Yet, it only takes a 3-foot fence to keep that impala in captivity.
Why? Because it will not jump unless it can see where its feet will land. Even though it could easily clear the fence, it will never jump.
We still remember our pastor’s words following the illustration, “Very often we are like Impalas. God is calling us to take a leap of faith, but we are afraid, because we can’t see where our feet will land.” Then he challenged the congregation – challenged us – to take a leap of faith – to be willing to respond to God’s Voice even when we can’t see where our feet will land.
When we got home that afternoon, we both knew that God was stirring our hearts to leap out of our comfort zone and into the unknown. We said yes to Him that day; we wanted to go wherever He wanted to land us.
Over the next few months, a vision for the future began to take shape, a vision that would become Full Sail Ministries. God actually gave us a picture to go along with the vision. It was a picture of a ship with its sails unfurled.
We heard him saying. “Just get your sails up. You don’t have to figure out where you’re going to go, or how you’re going to get there. You don’t have to empower yourself to move forward. I will fill you with the wind of my Spirit and take you to places you’ve never even imagined! Just get your sails up!”
2. We believe that the Bible is God’s Word. It is accurate, infallible, authoritative and applicable to our everyday lives.
3. We believe that sin has separated each of us from God and His purpose for our lives.
4. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ as both God and man is the only One who can reconcile us to God. He lived a sinless and exemplary life – displaying the Father’s heart for us and inviting us back into loving relationship, died on the cross in our place, and rose again to prove His victory and empower us for life.
5. We believe that a person is restored to fellowship with God by grace through faith by repenting of sin, and believing and receiving Jesus as the one and only Savior, and then submitting to His will for our lives.
6. We believe that our eternal destination of either Heaven or hell is determined by our response to the Lord Jesus Christ.
7. We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the believer is enabled to live a holy, fruitful, and abundant life.
8. We believe that God wants to heal and transform us so that we can truly live from the fullness of His love – known, seen and adopted as His own beloved children.
9. We believe that God has individually planned and equipped us so that we can successfully achieve His purpose for us, living the good life that He prearranged and made ready for us to live.
10. We believe the Church consists of all who put their faith in Jesus Christ. The Church exists to carry on the ministry of Jesus Christ and further advance His kingdom by undoing the works of Satan, preaching and living the Good News of God’s love, discipling the nations, baptizing and teaching them to love and obey God.